In the Ice Storm mini-quests, columns of ice extrude upwards from the bottom of the game board. The objective of each mini-quest is to clear a specific number of gems while preventing the ice columns from reaching the top of the board, which is done by matching gems over the columns. The types of matches made have different effects on the rising ice; horizontal matches only push down ice columns, while vertical matches shatter them. Columns of ice can also be pushed down/destroyed by the effects of Special Gems. It is worth noting that some ice columns rise faster than others.
When an ice column reaches the top of the game board, a warning icon (in the form of a blue skull) appears over the column and a secondary ice column begins to rise. This internal column disappears when the primary column is pushed downed or destroyed. When a secondary ice column approaches the top of the board, the column pulses bright red, a warning sound can be heard, the background darkens and additional instrumentation is added to the music to intensify the situation. When an internal column reaches the top of the board, the warning icon displayed above the column turns red and enlarges. If a secondary column is not pushed down or destroyed within a few seconds, the entire board freezes over and the mini-quest automatically ends.
During each Ice Storm mini-quest, Hypercubes randomly drop onto the game board. These can be used to help push down/destroy ice columns more effectively.
Ice Storm appears in Quest mode a total of three times. With each mini-quest, the number of required gems to clear and the rate in which the ice columns rise toward the top of the game board increases.
- Ice Storm – Clear 150 gems while preventing ice from reaching the top of the board.
- Ice Storm II – Clear 200 gems while preventing ice from reaching the top of the board.
- Ice Storm III – Clear 250 gems while preventing ice from reaching the top of the board.
- Train yourself to look for vertical matches, but don't waste time if you can't find any. Horizontal matches still help prolong your game and may help create new vertical matches in the process.
- Don't waste a vertical match if there isn't any ice rising up that column yet. Hold out. It'll come soon enough.
- Hypercubes will drop randomly on occasion. Try to save these and other special gems to help get you out of tight spots!
- Pausing the game anytime during an Ice Storm mini-quest causes the gems on the board to vanish, but they reappear whenever the game is resumed. This most likely happens to prevent "cheating."
- Although double-wide ice columns do not appear in any of the Ice Storm mini-quests, early screenshots of Bejeweled 3 show that they did at one point.
Names in other languages
- Ice Storm mode – The game mode equivalent of Ice Storm.