- "Match butterflies with like-colored Gems to free them."
- — Mouseover description from Bejeweled 3
A Butterfly, also known as a Butterfly Gem, is a type of gem that appears in Bejeweled 3. It is a squashed basic gem type that has wings and emits tiny sparkles. Each kind of Butterfly has its own unique wing pattern. This type of gem only appears in Butterflies mode and the Butterflies mini-quest type in Quest mode.
Similar to basic kinds of gems, Butterflies can be swapped with adjacent gems and cleared by matching them with like-colored gems. However, Butterflies will move up one space of the game board every turn, swapping with the gems above them. When a Butterfly is cleared from the board, it flies toward the large, decorative flower that is to the left of the game board and then disappears. In the iOS version of Bejeweled 3, the flower is absent and Butterfly Gems instead fly toward a Butterfly-shaped widget that is positioned in the center beneath the board.
With Butterflies mode and the Butterflies mini-quests, the objective of these is to clear as many Butterfly Gems as possible or a certain number of them respectively. Butterflies appear by transforming from gems on the bottom row of the game board and then they work their way up, where the Spider Gem awaits. When a Butterfly approaches the top, it will begin to tremble. If a Butterfly goes past the top of the board, the Spider Gem will capture it and the game will end.
- Because of the way they act, it is possible for Butterflies to clear themselves from the board. However, no points will be earned whenever this happens.
- If a Hypercube occupies a space on the bottom row of the game board, Butterflies will not spawn on that space.
- The badge Butterfly Bonanza can be earned by clearing specific numbers of Butterfly Gems in a single move.
- In the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Bejeweled 3, clearing one hundred or more Butterfly Gems in a game of Butterflies awards the achievement/trophy Butterfly Guardian.
Names in other languages