In Buried Treasure and the Sandstorm mini-quests, the entire game board is covered with sand. Hidden beneath the sand is a set of large objects. The goal of each mini-quest is to remove the sand and uncover the objects by clearing gems over the sand. Special Gem effects can remove sand as well. Each mini-quest contains their own set of objects to reveal. When an object is uncovered (i.e. when all the sand covering the object disappears), it places itself in a plaque that is beside the board. In the Sandstorm mini-quests, any sand cleared from the board regenerates after a set amount of time.
Beside the game board is the Timer Bar. Buried Treasure and each Sandstorm mini-quest must be completed within their own given time limit. When the Timer Bar reaches thirty seconds, "The Voice" will announce a brief warning about the amount of time remaining. When the Timer Bar reaches fifteen seconds, the vertical edges of the board emit a pulsing red glow and a warning sound plays; these effects intensify as the time limit approaches expiration.
During Buried Treasure and each Sandstorm mini-quest, Hypercubes fall into the game board every now and then.
- Pausing the game during a Sandstorm mini-quest and Buried Treasure causes the gems to vanish, but they reappear upon resuming the game. This most likely happens to prevent "cheating."
- The placement of the objects in Buried Treasure and the Sandstorm mini-quests is always different with each attempt.
- Although Buried Treasure and Sandstorm share the same mini-quest icon, an unused icon meant to represent just Buried Treasure is present in the game files of Bejeweled 3 (the icon shared between Buried Treasure and Sandstorm was originally meant to represent just Sandstorm).
- In the French version of Bejeweled 3, Buried Treasure and Sandstorm are both known as Enseveli ("Buried"). What is known as Buried Treasure, Sandstorm, and Sandstorm II in the English version of the game is known as Enseveli, Enseveli II, and Enseveli III in the French version.
- The French version of the Bejeweled 3 README file refers Buried Treasure and Sandstorm as Trésors ensevelis ("Buried Treasures") and Tempête de sable ("Sandstorm") in the Scoring section.
- With the Italian version of the Bejeweled 3, Sandstorm is known as Archeologo ("Archaeologist") in the game but referred to as Tempesta di sabbia ("Sandstorm") in the Gameplay Tips section of the README file.
- Based on evidence present in the game files of Bejeweled 3, Buried Treasure was originally a different type of mini-quest.
Names in other languages