This article is currently under construction. So expect incomplete information on this page.
The Bonus Challenge appears in the form of a box that rests below the Tube in the level-up meter. Four gems will glow with their outlines analogous to the actual gem's shape and color. The player must make four matches in sequence according to what's been shown in the Bonus Challenge box, with the cursor highlighting the current required color moving with each successive match. If the pattern is not followed in the middle of the four matches, the cursor moves back to the initial of the four, restarting the sequence.
One exception is if the first color in the pattern is matched while the cursor highlights the second gem, the cursor will stay unless A) the second gem is also fulfilled, or B) a color other than the first gem is being matched.
When the four gems are matched, the announcer compliments "Challenge Achieved!", and adds multiplier notches to the Chain Meter, and destroys either a Bomb Gem or a Flame Gem. After this is complete, the Bonus Challenge resets with a new pattern.
A special form of the Bonus Challenge named the "Mega Fruit Bonus Challenge" appears after a Fruit Gem detonation and replaces the existing Bonus Challenge. The four-gem pattern will need to be complete within the next four moves, leaving no room for spurious matches. If it is not complete within that space, the Mega Fruit Bonus Challenge ceases, and a Bonus Challenge will take its place. A matched first-color will not keep the cursor on the second gem if both aren't in identical colors, canceling the Challenge. When the Mega Fruit Bonus Challenge is complete, a Mega Fruit Bonus is awarded, alongside another Fruit Gem.
- This element was removed in the mobile version due to the screen limitations of various mobile phone models.
- The total number of variations for the four-gem Bonus Challenge is 2793.
- 2793 =
- 2401 + 343 + 49;
- 2401 + 392;
- 2744 + 49;
- 2450 + 343.
- 2793 is the number of variations, with 2401 with no pairs, 343 with pairs, and 49 with two pairs.
- 2793 =
- By editing the config.xml file in the Windows and Mac OS X versions, it is possible to add or reduce the required number of certain regular gem matches. For example, changing the required matches into 1.
- If there are multiple bomb gems on the board, it will remove the one with the lowest number on it.
- If the player max out the multiplier twice at that point it will remove the bomb gem with the lowest number and turn the one with the second lowest number into a fruit gem.