|Release date||December 20, 2008|
Bejeweled Blitz is a game in the Bejeweled series. This game is a fast-paced challenge in which players can rack up as many points as they can in one minute.
Bejeweled Blitz first debuted in 2008 on Facebook, as Bejeweled Blitz Beta. It was based on Bejeweled 2, due to the graphics, the Power Gem and Hypercube designs, and the lack of Star Gems. This was most likely done because Bejeweled 3 was either not in development or early in development. The game was successful, as it was voted "Best Facebook Game of 2009" by IGN and later on added as an add-on for the iPhone version of Bejeweled 2.
On April 5, 2010, a new version of Bejeweled Blitz appeared for the PC. It was based on the then-in-development Bejeweled 3 engine, and it featured HD graphics like Bejeweled 3. Also, gems can be swapped while others were still settling for the first time although, this does not occur while a Hypercube or Star Gem being triggered. There were three versions with: 188.8.131.5234 (Initial release), 184.108.40.20660 (Most popular release), and 220.127.116.1100 (Final version with Boosts). Unlike the now-upgraded Facebook version, none of the releases had Keystones, Rare Gems, Daily Spin, nor the two other game modes. These features were supposed to be brought in sometime in 2011 with an update along with some PC exclusive features, but PopCap discontinued the PC version before this event took place and instead focused on updating the Facebook version as well as the newly released ports for iOS and Android devices.
- The boosts are more expensive in the online version. One popular combination costs 16,000 coins in the online version, but only 9,000 in the offline version.
- Scoring discrepancies exist as well. In the Facebook version, the base value for a Flame Gem is worth 1,050 points or multiples thereof. In the PC version (and Bejeweled 3 as well), the same detonation is worth 1,250 points or multiples thereof.
- This game may have likely been inspired by Blitz mode in Bejeweled Twist.
- Bejeweled Blitz uses cats as a recurring theme.
- In Daily Challenge mode, you can earn Star Cats for each score level you achieve.
- In the stats screen (Facebook only) there is a button with a cat face on it. Clicking the button plays a "meow" sound. The stats page also tracks how many meows you've meowed from clicking that button and this Rare Gem only.
- Clicking the "share score" button on the end game screen (Facebook only) will occasionally pop a tooltip that looks like a cat.
Title screen music for the mobile version